Re: Ends of barlines are hidden in staff lines. (issue4809057)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Ends of barlines are hidden in staff lines. (issue4809057)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:19:01 -0600

On 7/30/11 3:35 PM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2011/07/30 16:15:39, c_sorensen_byu.edu wrote:
>

>> I think that the stop/start staves is currently exactly what it should
> do.
>> It stops the staff at a location, and starts the staff at the same
> location.
>> It reflects the commands that have been issued.  If the staff is
> continuous,
>> there is no indication that the staff has been stopped and started.
>
>> Thanks,
>
>> Carl
>
> Err..why does there need to be an indication?

There probably doesn't.  But neither should we avoid having an indication
and drive the staff lines to be continuous.

> The 'LP code' indicates it, I'm trying to think of a musical reason why
> this matters. Are we just splitting hairs here?
>
> 1) If squaring up the lines helps and resolves more fundamental issues
> why do we care if I can't tell the difference when I've issued a stop
> and start immediately one after the other?

Squaring up the lines doesn't help.   Having the lines rounded works for
everything.  The rounded lines were proposed as a portential error when we
do stop/start at the same time.  I don't think they are an error.

> 2) Even if I did have a 'gap' between the lines why does it matter if
> they are rounded?

Because in real engraving, all the outside corners are rounded.   It's a
characteristic of the tools used for engraving.

My point is only that this simultaneous start/stop should not be used as a
justification to eliminate rounding.

Thanks,

Carl