Re: Creates a Flag grob. (issue 4922042)

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Creates a Flag grob. (issue 4922042)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:03:32 +0200

On Aug 24, 2011, at 11:53 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions Neil!

I'm holding off on pushing the patch because I have noticed a spacing
discrepancy in a few regtests.  See the attached, where "old" is current master
and "new" is with my patch.  The spacing between the last 16th note and the
quarter is too tight.

I have verified via pacifier prints that the pure heights of the flag are being
taken from the stencil function and are going into the spacing engine in
separation-item.cc.  However, in theory, this patch should have null effect on
the minimum and ideal distances of paper columns.  This is not the case (see
attached).

Happily (bizarrely), if I add the flag to the NoteColumn's elements grob-array
in the rhythmic-column engraver, this problem goes away in the opposite sense:
the paper column's minimum and ideal distances become wider (see attached).
I'm tending towards doing this, but it also seems subpar (unless someone can
vouch that the previous spacing somehow mishandled flags).

If anyone has any intuition as to why this is happening, I'd be much obliged if
you'd share it with me.

Cheers,
MS