Re: Uses langdefs.py to create language list forcreate-weblinks-itexi.py

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Uses langdefs.py to create language list forcreate-weblinks-itexi.py (issue 4951047)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:36:28 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:28 AM

On 2011/09/02 06:25:59, jan.nieuwenhuizen wrote:
If that works, then why not have

+import langdefs
+langs = [i.code if i.code != 'en' else '' for i in
langdefs.LANGUAGES]

I agree.

Phil, why did you push this patch without implementing this, or at least
responding to Jan to say why you thought it was a bad idea?  I think
this is bad form; we want to encourage developers to review patches, but
if we ignore their suggestions that pretty much kills any incentive for
people to review stuff.

Please revert the patch and let's talk about Jan's suggestion.

Please see my previous email to you directly. I was trying to push a minor documentation change in another branch, and by mistake pushed this instead. I asked you to revert it because I don't know how. If you let me know, I'll add it to my list of git commands.

I was waiting to get that sorted before responding to Jan. My response is that I'm not very good at Python, and so was essentially writing Python in C-style. Personally I find it easier to understand - I find a lot of the Python "short cuts" confusing style that probably add little in the way of performance, but I'm happy to change the line.

--
Phil Holmes