Re: Need help with openSUSE:Factory build failure in lilypond

From: Dave Plater
Subject: Re: Need help with openSUSE:Factory build failure in lilypond
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:14:56 +0200

On 09/24/2011 12:37 AM, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
The problem with guile 2.0 is that it includes many major changes (compiled
code, new macro handling, new garbage collection, completely new
string/unicode handling, etc.), which also require major code changes and
restructuring. Lilypond, however, has not been tested AT ALL with the new
version yet. Currently, Ian is trying to make lilypond compile and make the
basics work with guile 2.0.

Guile is not just some additional extension package that lilypond uses, where
an update should be mostly painless. Lilyond uses Guile at its very core, and
large parts of lilypond are implemented in guile, so an update to guile 2.0
means replacing the very core of lilypond.

I don't think you want to play the guinea pig for such a guile 2.0 switch.

That's like switching to a completely untested, unstable kernel version
shortly before a distribution release.

Cheers,
Reinhold
My problem is that at the moment I'm one man alone trying to find a solution to this problem and still keep up with maintaining multimedia libs and apps along with a few others as an unpaid openSUSE community member. I've started on a guile 1.88 package called guile1 but although "--program-suffix=1" appends a one to the executables and I can just rename the pkg-config file, delete guile-config, rename the info pages and install the libs in $libdir/name there appears to be a lot more to do to produce a parallel installable guile1 package. Lilypond will also have to be patched to use it. I could use a bit of help, I'm not as familiar with autoconf and friends as I am with cmake and scons, I have difficulty with large packages such as lilypond and guile, I've only worked with simple library packages. It seems, from googling guile, the rpm based distributions are behind with their guile updates and the patches applied to the handful of openSUSE packages are very simple, gnucash for instance only seems to have a couple of lines in it's patch. The thing that surprises me the most is that guile 2 isn't backward compatible with guile 1, at least python 3 suffixes everything with a 3 and they have tools and information for porting from 2 to 3 guile doesn't seem to have any info about porting, not even in the list messages.

Thanks
Dave