Re: Big web page

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Big web page
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:39:45 +0100

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:32:59PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> So - going on comments concerning GOP, we have had one support, one
> comment to the effect that someone once objected, and no-one
> objecting.  Please could we consider this as a serious proposal, and
> if anyone thinks we need to keep web-big-page.html please say so,
> and why.

I object.  I think we should be conservative about removing stuff.
Nobody is seriously complaining about the broken images on
web-big-html, so let's just leave it alone for now.

Note that if web-big-html lacks pictures, then presumably other
manuals (like notation-big-html and contributor-big-html) will
also lack pictures.  Also note that fixing the pictures can
probably be fixed by adding the right symlink somewhere, or by
moving the -big-html manuals into a separate directory.  If we
really knew how the doc build system worked -- which we don't --
then fixing this would be a 120-second job.  Just leave it alone
until we understand stuff better.

> I have discovered another reason for getting rid of it - it's almost
> impossible to test any work done to change the way it's created (BTW
> - this is not a bleat about an error I made earlier, it's something
> I've realised as I documented make website).   The command "make
> website" doesn't really make the website.

umm...
That's no worse than fixing any other problem in the doc build.

> lilypond.org has lots
> more content on it - all the manuals, for example, the images, etc.
> "make website" doesn't even create web-big-page.html.  "make
> website" really only makes the html pages in web.texi.

Yes.  I mean, nobody expected "make website" to produce all the
binaries for download, right?

> On my system, those things (manuals, pictures,
> web-big-page.html) are only created by the much slower make doc.

Yes.

If it helps, think of "the website" as "stuff immediately
available on lilypond.org/*.html", whereas "the web manual" as
"one of the manuals produced by make doc"

I couldn't think of any way to avoid the name clash.