Re: Big web page

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Big web page
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:05:48 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Janek Warchol" <address@hidden>; "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 6:39 AM

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:32:59PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
So - going on comments concerning GOP, we have had one support, one
comment to the effect that someone once objected, and no-one
objecting.  Please could we consider this as a serious proposal, and
if anyone thinks we need to keep web-big-page.html please say so,
and why.

I object.  I think we should be conservative about removing stuff.
Nobody is seriously complaining about the broken images on
web-big-html, so let's just leave it alone for now.

Note that if web-big-html lacks pictures, then presumably other
manuals (like notation-big-html and contributor-big-html) will
also lack pictures.

No. This is because web-split is created during make website, whereas manual-split is created during make doc. make doc runs the scripts that fix up the images in manuals-split (they're put into the manuals-big correct, and into manuals-split wrongly. The script fixes the wrong ones).

Also note that fixing the pictures can
probably be fixed by adding the right symlink somewhere, or by
moving the -big-html manuals into a separate directory.  If we
really knew how the doc build system worked -- which we don't --
then fixing this would be a 120-second job.  Just leave it alone
until we understand stuff better.

There's nothing to fix except web-big.

I have discovered another reason for getting rid of it - it's almost
impossible to test any work done to change the way it's created (BTW
- this is not a bleat about an error I made earlier, it's something
I've realised as I documented make website).   The command "make
website" doesn't really make the website.

umm...
That's no worse than fixing any other problem in the doc build.

lilypond.org has lots
more content on it - all the manuals, for example, the images, etc.
"make website" doesn't even create web-big-page.html.  "make
website" really only makes the html pages in web.texi.

Yes.  I mean, nobody expected "make website" to produce all the
binaries for download, right?

On my system, those things (manuals, pictures,
web-big-page.html) are only created by the much slower make doc.

Yes.

If it helps, think of "the website" as "stuff immediately
available on lilypond.org/*.html", whereas "the web manual" as
"one of the manuals produced by make doc"

I couldn't think of any way to avoid the name clash.

I've got no problem with what "make website" is called, or what it does. I just wanted to ensure there's clarity about what it doesn't do.

--
Phil Holmes