Re: Markup module patch (Issue 2026)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Markup module patch (Issue 2026)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:48:40 +0100

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Ian Hulin <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>> Why can't the validation procedure look in multiple places?
>>>

>> Because this means serious fiddling with the maoing markup code.  I
>> really hope you didn't write it because I agree with David, it's a fetid
>> pile of Dingo's kidneys to maintain, and I fear it'll take me a
>> lo-o-o-ong time and much cursing and swearing to change it.
>
> While I can appreciate your sentiment, can we cut the swearing? It was
> written by Nicolas Sceaux who is much more fluent at writing Scheme
> code than I have ever been. Have you tried contacting him?

Why?  We know what it does and how.  The problem is mapping this
macro-heavy approach revolving around the markup macro to Guilev2.
Personally, I consider the markup macro not a good fit with the rest of
Lilypond's architecture and available Scheme fluency.

But we are not in a situation to be able to afford a redesign, and the
Guilev2 problems are of quite elemental nature and not particularly tied
to the markup macro.  I don't think we can afford the brittleness that
currently shows in connection with the markup macro to rear its head
anywhere.  I don't think we can afford a "dear user, please don't use
macros in your Lilypond project since we don't know how to keep Guilev2
from breaking then" policy.