Re: Patchy email

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:08:36 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2011/12/31 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>>> Begin LilyPond compile, commit: 2f25894efd8ad242b233d5a1d07afcfa087ebab2
>>>
>>> *** FAILED STEP ***
>>>
>>>         merge from staging
>>>
>>>         maybe somebody pushed a commit directly to master?
>>
>> Francisco merged translation with staging, and apparently also with
>> master. (The commit message says merge with staging, but the commit
>> is on master and is the parent of staging.
>>
>> I suspect that we have not yet worked out the right way to deal with
>> translations, and I don't know enough git to know what to recommend.
>>
>> David, any ideas?
>
> I performed a single 'merge lilypond/translation' command while on
> staging.

> Then I performed a single 'push origin staging' command.

As far as I can tell, this is perfectly correct and should not be the
cause of the current problem.

> I have not touched master. I did not 'git checkout master'. I did not
> push master. I did not mention master on my keyboard or in my
> thoughts.  I have had nightmares about master in the past, but master
> is off my life now.  Master does not exist for me anymore.
>
> I suspect one way or another master and staging are the same thing,
> which is not my fault.

staging turns into master at some point of time.

But I am afraid that translation _should_ merge _from_ origin/master
occasionally in order not to get out of synch: you don't want to
translate unnecessarily old material.