Re: Patchy email

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:27:38 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden [lilypond-devel-
>> address@hidden on behalf of
>> address@hidden
>> Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 5:21 PM
>> To: address@hidden
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Subject: Patchy email
>>
>> Begin LilyPond compile, commit: 2f25894efd8ad242b233d5a1d07afcfa087ebab2
>>
>> *** FAILED STEP ***
>>
>>         merge from staging
>>
>>         maybe somebody pushed a commit directly to master?
>
> Francisco merged translation with staging, and apparently also with
> master. (The commit message says merge with staging, but the commit is
> on master and is the parent of staging.
>
> I suspect that we have not yet worked out the right way to deal with
> translations, and I don't know enough git to know what to recommend.
>
> David, any ideas?

Yes.  Stop the panicking.  We have created the staging branch in order
to reduce stress levels.  When the shit hits the fan, master is clean
and keeps working.  Francisco did not touch master.

In fact, Francisco did nothing wrong whatsoever, and Patchy advanced
master just fine to staging after testing.  The only question is why
Patchy felt it would be a good idea to send out the above mail.

My guess is that two incantations of Patchy were at work here, and one
of them copied a tested staging to master while the other one was still
working with older material.

Something like that.  Or the script sending the mails is broken.

Before starting to yell at anybody, try

git fetch
git log origin/staging..origin

and if the output is empty, the repository is in perfect state, with
nothing being in master that is not also in origin.