Re: Patchy email

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:56:34 +0000

On 12/30/11 6:40 PM, "Francisco Vila" <address@hidden> wrote:

>2011/12/31 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>>> Begin LilyPond compile, commit:
>>>2f25894efd8ad242b233d5a1d07afcfa087ebab2
>>>
>>> *** FAILED STEP ***
>>>
>>>         merge from staging
>>>
>>>         maybe somebody pushed a commit directly to master?
>>
>> Francisco merged translation with staging, and apparently also with
>>master. (The commit message says merge with staging, but the commit is
>>on master and is the parent of staging.
>>
>> I suspect that we have not yet worked out the right way to deal with
>>translations, and I don't know enough git to know what to recommend.
>>
>> David, any ideas?
>
>I performed a single 'merge lilypond/translation' command while on
>staging.
>Then I performed a single 'push origin staging' command.  I have not
>touched master. I did not 'git checkout master'. I did not push
>master. I did not mention master on my keyboard or in my thoughts.  I
>have had nightmares about master in the past, but master is off my
>life now.  Master does not exist for me anymore.
>
>I suspect one way or another master and staging are the same thing,
>which is not my fault.

Please don't consider my email one of assigning blame, Francisco.  You
have a procedure that has worked for you for a long time.  We changed that
procedure.  It's not yet worked out.  The fault is in the procedure, not
in the person.

I suspect that we gave you commands that set it so your local staging
branch is tracking origin/master, rather than origin/staging.  So *for
you*, staging is the same branch as origin/master.  And I'm trying to
figure out how to diagnose this.

For starters, can you look at the file .git/config (in your lilypond
source top-level directory)?

Here are my entries:

[remote "origin"]
        url = address@hidden:/srv/git/lilypond.git
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = master

[branch "staging"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/staging

I think the "merge = refs/heads/staging" line is the one that ties my
staging branch to origin/staging.

I suspect you may have the following:

[branch "staging"]
remote = origin
merge = master

Anyway, don't panic, and we'll get this figured out.

Thanks,

Carl