Re: Patchy email

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:13:18 +0100

2011/12/31 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
>> Francisco merged translation with staging, and apparently also with
>> master. (The commit message says merge with staging, but the commit is
>> on master and is the parent of staging.
>>
>> I suspect that we have not yet worked out the right way to deal with
>> translations, and I don't know enough git to know what to recommend.
>>
>> David, any ideas?
>
> Yes.  Stop the panicking.  We have created the staging branch in order
> to reduce stress levels.  When the shit hits the fan, master is clean
> and keeps working.  Francisco did not touch master.
>
> In fact, Francisco did nothing wrong whatsoever, and Patchy advanced
> master just fine to staging after testing.  The only question is why
> Patchy felt it would be a good idea to send out the above mail.
>
> My guess is that two incantations of Patchy were at work here, and one
> of them copied a tested staging to master while the other one was still
> working with older material.
>
> Something like that.  Or the script sending the mails is broken.
>
> Before starting to yell at anybody, try
>
> git fetch
> git log origin/staging..origin
>
> and if the output is empty, the repository is in perfect state, with
> nothing being in master that is not also in origin.

Yes, empty output.

HEADs of master and staging did match before I merged lilypond/translation.

I also tested 'make' and 'make doc' on staging after the merge and
they succeeded.

While we are on it, I (su)did make install and am using it right now.

2011/12/31 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> Next step -- try
> git remote show origin
> This should list where you are set up for pulling and pushing.

(...)
 Local branches configured for 'git pull':
   master      rebases onto remote master
   stable/2.14  merges with remote stable/2.14
   staging      merges with remote staging
 Local refs configured for 'git push':
   lilypond/translation pushes to lilypond/translation (up to date)
   master               pushes to master               (up to date)
   stable/2.14          pushes to stable/2.14          (local out of date)
   staging              pushes to staging              (up to date)

> Do you have gitk installed?  If so, can you do
> git checkout staging
> gitk &
> And send a screenshot of the tree; hopefully one that includes staging,
> master, origin/staging, and origin/master.

http://ubuntuone.com/3kWFsGw3qhoMXdqYxiuz5p

I see a further commit from Mike which is also in both master and staging.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com