Re: 2.16 release candidate 3 imminent

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: 2.16 release candidate 3 imminent
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 10:41:28 +0100

Am 21.01.2012 20:17, schrieb Carl Sorensen:
On 1/21/12 11:47 AM, "Marc Hohl"<address@hidden>  wrote:

I must admit that I am lost here and do not quite understand what's
going on,
but will there be any difference between

<   c\3 e\2 g\1>   and<   c e g>\3\2\1

once these changes are implemented?
The latter would not display anything anywhere.
Great!
I'm not sure you actually will find it great (although I think it is more
consistent).

If we don't want to have string numbers show up in the music, but we need
them for the tabstaff, right now we can do

<c e g>\3\2\1

In the future,<c e g>\3\2\1 won't assign the string numbers to the
tabstaff.  (And in fact, I can't find this usage documented in the NR).
Yes, I stumbled upon it while we were discussing some other problems
concerning tablature, and I used this method to prevent the sting numbers
showing up.

\override StringNumber #'stencil = ##f

yielded in errors (but I think this has changed recently), and simply
setting

\override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t

still influenced the spacing for obvious reasons.
Instead, as would be done regularly in lilypond, we would do

\once \override StringNumber #'stencil = ##f
<c\3 e\2 g\1>

This is consistent with how things are handled in lilypond, so I think we
ought to move in this direction.
As setting the stencil to false seems to work now, I agree with you that this is the
more lilypondish way to go.

Thanks for your explanations!

Regards,

Marc