Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:08:26 +0000

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:59:57PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Don't get confused here.  Don't scare people away from doing the
> > staging-merge by talking about test-patches.py.
>
> I am not sure what the problem is with anybody else running it.

ditto, other than the sheer "it's something I haven't done before"
factor.  Don't underestimate that: unix people have no problem
running an unknown program and skimming the man page if necessary,
but other people are reluctant to do this.

> You call it, and it complains about LILYPOND_GIT not being set.

That's covered in the beginning of the CG now, and it's built-in
to lilydev 2.0.

> (assuming that your full repository copy is in /usr/local/tmp/lilypond)
> and it complains that the configuration in ~/.lilypond-patchy-config is
> wrong.

Yep.

> You call a text editor and insert directories and paths suitable
> to your system in that file, and that is about it.

Yep.

> There is not much to make this easier or better discoverable short of
> adding a complete configuration program that will write the respective
> data.

Yep.

> I have to admit to not even reading the CG here.

Admittedly, none of the above is in the CG (other than the
LILYPOND_GIT environment variable stuff).  But really, it's just
as you say: the instructions are pretty clear.

> I just ran the script
> that had a title suggesting it would do the right thing, and it
> apparently did after I addressed its rather clear complaints.

Great!

Hopefully somebody will see these emails and realize there's
nothing to fear.