Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:58:52 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:08 PM

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:59:57PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> Don't get confused here.  Don't scare people away from doing the
> staging-merge by talking about test-patches.py.

I am not sure what the problem is with anybody else running it.

ditto, other than the sheer "it's something I haven't done before"
factor.  Don't underestimate that: unix people have no problem
running an unknown program and skimming the man page if necessary,
but other people are reluctant to do this.

You call it, and it complains about LILYPOND_GIT not being set.

That's covered in the beginning of the CG now, and it's built-in
to lilydev 2.0.

(assuming that your full repository copy is in /usr/local/tmp/lilypond)
and it complains that the configuration in ~/.lilypond-patchy-config is
wrong.

Yep.

You call a text editor and insert directories and paths suitable
to your system in that file, and that is about it.

Yep.

There is not much to make this easier or better discoverable short of
adding a complete configuration program that will write the respective
data.

Yep.

I have to admit to not even reading the CG here.

Admittedly, none of the above is in the CG (other than the
LILYPOND_GIT environment variable stuff).  But really, it's just
as you say: the instructions are pretty clear.

I just ran the script
that had a title suggesting it would do the right thing, and it
apparently did after I addressed its rather clear complaints.

Great!

Hopefully somebody will see these emails and realize there's
nothing to fear.

- Graham

I'll have a look later.  But.

I assume it uses the "normal" git cache on my computer - is there any danger if this is also my dev machine with other changed files in the git filesystem (e.g. the LSR copies, for example).

My brief look at one of the scripts showed an expectation of using a RAMdisk. I'd rather use my SSD. Does this involve any changes?

Please confirm which script should be the main "master" and what to look for when it's running.

"smtp_command: msmtp -C ~/.msmtp-patchy -t" means nothing to me.

--
Phil Holmes