Re: make dist broken

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: make dist broken
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:43:01 +0000

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:24:46AM +0100, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2012/2/15 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Look, the "make dist broken" is just a subject line that I typed.
>
> Trust me, I really want to learn how to prevent dist problems caused
> by translations.

Great!  Download GUB and look at test-lily/dist-check.py
That's the script that complains.

Of course, you'll need to find out what arguments to call that
script with (see GUB's makefiles), and it might need the same
directory layout that GUB uses... but that's where to look.

> Please enlighten me: is it necessary for me to run
> GUB so that I can detect dist failures?

In theory?  no.  In practice?  at the moment, yes.

Extracting the dist-check from GUB and integrating it into the
normal lilypond build system and scripts would likely take
somebody like Julien or David 1 hour, it would probably be about 2
hours for me, and maybe 10 hours for you?  no insult implied here;
I'm just trying to guess how much you know about python and build
systems.

But I don't think anybody should be particularly concerned about
this.  There's at least 20 maintainability issues which have worse
consequences for developers or potential contributors.

> Given that my translation is a complete set (and not the only one
> which is) I can compare my Makefiles with those of other languages
> whenever a new file comes in, but I don't know if this is enough.

If you do a completely accuracy comparison, that should be enough.
In other words, whenever there's been a problem, I can see
differences in the GNUmakefiles.