Re: make dist broken

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: make dist broken
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:39:41 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/2/15 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>> Look, the "make dist broken" is just a subject line that I typed.
>> I can't remember the exact message the GUB gave, but it's the
>> usual one that happens whenever people add a new translation.
>> Search the mailing list archives to see me complaining about it in
>> the past, as well as explaining how to fix it.  And/or look for
>> such messages in the git commit log.  Something like "fix make
>> dist" or "build: dist fix" should probably find the right commits.
>
> Trust me, I really want to learn how to prevent dist problems caused
> by translations. Please enlighten me: is it necessary for me to run
> GUB so that I can detect dist failures?
>
> Given that my translation is a complete set (and not the only one
> which is) I can compare my Makefiles with those of other languages
> whenever a new file comes in, but I don't know if this is enough.

I suppose we are all trying our best.  And of course it is frustrating
if you don't have a reliable method to make sure that your best is good
enough for not disrupting the work of others.  LilyPond is a complex
project, and few of the people setting up complex parts of it like GUB,
the build system, the translation infrastructure, remain in active duty.

It would be nice to say "we are working on it" but I don't even know
that.  Basically we are trying to get on with the diluted knowledge we
have in a civil manner (and it is not like my track record for that is
exactly shining).  With regard to translations, you are probably one of
the persons best qualified for helping to find solutions to detect
breakage from translations earlier than previously.

The staging patchy does a full doc build by now, and that has helped.
But it is not the whole deal, apparently.