Re: make dist broken

From: catchall
Subject: Re: make dist broken
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:33:24 +0000

Quoting Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:

2012/2/15 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
Look, the "make dist broken" is just a subject line that I typed.
I can't remember the exact message the GUB gave, but it's the
usual one that happens whenever people add a new translation.
Search the mailing list archives to see me complaining about it in
the past, as well as explaining how to fix it.  And/or look for
such messages in the git commit log.  Something like "fix make
dist" or "build: dist fix" should probably find the right commits.

Trust me, I really want to learn how to prevent dist problems caused
by translations. Please enlighten me: is it necessary for me to run
GUB so that I can detect dist failures?

Given that my translation is a complete set (and not the only one
which is) I can compare my Makefiles with those of other languages
whenever a new file comes in, but I don't know if this is enough.

Thanks.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com

Replying from my webmail (working today) so the formatting may be odd and some of the explanation may be scratchy.

The story of this one is that I noted error messages in make doc along the lines of "Documentation/cs/included is not a directory". That was accurate - it didn't exist, and so I agreed with GP the simplest way to fix the error was to make the directory exist and put a file in it to ensure that it remained in git. I added a GNUmakefile to the included directories for cs, hu and ZH, IIRC. AFAICS this solved the problems. However, I believe Graham then kicked off a GUB build which creates a tarball of the source using make dist, and then checks that the contents of the tarball are the same as the source directories with make distcheck. They weren't, and this was what Graham was pointing out. The new GNUmakefiles and directories were in the source tree, but not the tarball. My research showed that this was fixed by updating the GNUmakefile in the Documentation/language. If you look at those, you'll see something like included_directories = list of dirs. I added included to cs, hu and zh and believe this fixed the problem. In practice, my attempt to push this to master using patchy failed, but it succeeded when Graham tried - so I don't understand that yet.

make dist works on my normal build system, but I think make distcheck only works on GUB, so at present it's not easy to check for this problem.

I think the message for translators (and me in this case) is that the makefiles do have lists of directories that need to be kept in step with the actual directories. I reckon this is a candidate for an issue - the directory list could be automatically created.