GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:51:03 +0100

continuing GSoC preparations for LilyPond.  In GSoC FAQ, it's said
that our application should contain at least answers to the following
questions (my thoughts given below each question):

Describe your organization.
    We are maintaining and developing LilyPond, a music engraving
program devoted to producing the highest-quality sheet music possible.
It brings the aesthetics of traditionally engraved music to computer
printouts. LilyPond is free software and part of the GNU Project.
Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer of
Code 2012? What do you hope to gain by participating?
    Most importantly: more contributors
    surely: new code
    also: spreading news about LilyPond, getting programmers interested
    additionally: some money for mentors to enable them spending more
time on LilyPond (?)
Did your organization participate in past Google Summer of Codes? If
so, please summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges
of your participation.
    We didn't participate.
If your organization has not previously participated in Google Summer
of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
    We didn't apply. (did we?)
What Open Source Initiative approved license(s) does your project use?
    GNU GPL v.3 (is all of our code using it?) and GNU LGPL 1.3 for docs
What is the URL for your Ideas page?
    TODO.  If you have any more ideas, please post them in this
thread: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-02/msg00340.html
What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
    address@hidden
What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
    address@hidden
Does your organization have an application template you would like to
see students use? If so, please provide it now.
    TODO?
Who will be your backup organization administrator?
    Carl? (Graham would be the main one?)
What criteria did you use to select your mentors for this year's
program? Please be as specific as possible.
    commit history, activity, their own declarations ?
What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
    To not have them disappear, we'll ensure that mentor contacts them
every x days;
    we'll also encourage them to split the work into separate
not-too-big patches to keep them motivated.
    We'll ask them for phone number just in case and use it if they
don't answer for some time.
    If they can't be reached, we ask the mentor (or someone else if
available) to get the work to a state when it can be used, at least
partly.
What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
    Choose backup mentors before that happens?
What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before, during and after the program?
    Before: we assing them a person (not necessarily the mentor) who
will give them "a short tour". we also invite them to reviewing our
own code, pointing them to bugfixes of adequate sophistication.
    During: all their changes will be reviewed online, available to
whole dev team (lots of feedback)
    After: ask them if they want to become mentors (at next GSoC or in
general), suggest other issues to be done that correspond with their
skills
Are you a new organization who has a Googler or other organization to
vouch for you? If so, please list their name(s) here.
    No
Are you an established or larger organization who would like to vouch
for a new organization applying this year? If so, please list their
name(s) here.
    No.

Also, from what i understand, we should have mentors declared for each
project in our Ideas List (i.e. mentoring GSoC student is a personal
responsibility).  Who is interested in being a mentor?  You get $500
for this.

cheers,
Janek