Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:41:23 +0100

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 01:51:03PM +0100, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> Why is your organization applying to participate in Google Summer of
>> Code 2012? What do you hope to gain by participating?
>>     Most importantly: more contributors
>>     surely: new code
>>     also: spreading news about LilyPond, getting programmers interested
>>     additionally: some money for mentors to enable them spending more
>> time on LilyPond (?)
>
> The money goes to the project, not to individual mentors.  Could
> you check their FAQ to see if there's any "we're a small project
> with no independent legal body to take the $500; what happens to
> that money?" question?

I think that you should not write something like that at all.  "I
participate because I am out for the money for a good independent cause,
and am willing to put up whatever front is required for that" is not
really a selling point.

If you want to mention that mentor sum, you could say something like "I
also appreciate that you acknowledge the large effort that helping
people to understand code actually is and am glad that you choose to
reward their time as well."

>> Also, from what i understand, we should have mentors declared for each
>> project in our Ideas List (i.e. mentoring GSoC student is a personal
>> responsibility).  Who is interested in being a mentor?  You get $500
>> for this.
>
> No you don't.  $500 goes to the project, not the mentor.

If there is no official funding place, a non-person-specific use for it
would be travel/accommodation for conference speakers.  I would be
surprised if this would not get rid of the sum within a year.