Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GSoC - continue: answer to Google's question
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:09:06 +0000

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:53:52PM +0100, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Maybe wait 12 hours in case somebody else wants to do it, then try
> > to contact the FSF yourself.  Applications start tomorrow and only
> > run for a bit over a week,
>
> ??
> According to
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#timeline
> applications start on Monday, Feb 27 and end on March 9.

oops, yes.  Maybe I thought that "2" and "7" look kind-of similar,
so tomorrow's date of "22" could be interpreted as "27" ?

> > I don't think so.  And if we have the FSF handle the tax side of
> > things, I think they get the money.  They might want to keep it --
> > at the very least, if we wanted to use that money, I think we'd
> > need to submit a budget or expense claim or something.
>
> I don't quite get it why we would want to do so. but...

If the money gets to sent to the FSF as a vendor under the google
checkout system, it shows up in their bank account.  As a
registered non-profit, they need to account for money coming in
and out, otherwise it looks like they're doing money laundering.

Maybe they have a set policy for dealing with GSoC and won't blink
an eye at forwarding that money to a personal paypal account.  If
so, there's no problem.  But I would doubt that they have such a
policy -- and getting the FSF investigated due to tax evasion or
something would suck.  I like to be extra-cautious when it comes
to money and legal affairs.