Re: Corrected comments and a function check_meshing_chords divided in tw

From: milimetr88
Subject: Re: Corrected comments and a function check_meshing_chords divided in two. (issue 5975054)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:52:36 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/diff/1/lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc
File lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/diff/1/lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc#newcode126
lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc:126: * Returns vertical position of a
symbol relatively to the staff.
On 2012/04/14 19:12:01, Keith wrote:
On 2012/04/14 13:56:18, Milimetr88 wrote:
> Relative to which element?
"relative to the staff"
Most English speakers think of this construction as an adjective,
describing
'position', so we use the adjective form 'relative'.
We see 'relatively' a lot from people who think in other languages,
but that
makes English speakers search for the adjective being modified by
'relatively'.

Ah, ok. I thought that Han-Wen wants me to replace THE WHOLE comment
with a one word: "relative" :D Now it's clear for me - I'll change that
one word.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/diff/1/lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc#newcode137
lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc:137: * The unit is halves of staff
space.
On 2012/04/14 19:12:01, Keith wrote:
On 2012/04/14 13:56:18, Milimetr88 wrote:

> Is there any official coding style for comments? I couldn't find any
in CG.

With very few exceptions, block comments in LilyPond C code use no *.
That is
enough to recognize the convention.  You should take out the *s here.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5651069/diff/5002/lily/note-collision.cc#newcode191
> leading *'s prevent comments misalignment.

Those are the exceptions.  Emacs' indenter will left-align block
comments. Years
ago someone auto-indented the code with emacs and destroyed all the
ASCII-art
comments that draw note-configurations.

If we write an explicit rule, then it is harder to adapt the next time
we meet
an exceptional case.

Ok, so there should be leading *, if and only if there is an ASCII-art
in the comment, right?

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/