Re: Corrected comments and a function check_meshing_chords divided in tw

From: graham
Subject: Re: Corrected comments and a function check_meshing_chords divided in two. (issue 5975054)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:18:58 +0000

On 2012/04/14 13:56:18, Milimetr88 wrote:
On 2012/03/31 21:04:35, Keith wrote:
> It is still difficult to understand.
> Consider
> for (Direction d = UP; d != CENTER; d = (UP == d)? DOWN, CENTER)

Ah, yes, you're right - your suggestion will be more readable. Done.

You don't like the
for ( UP_and_DOWN(d) )
macro?  I think that's *far* more readable than Keith's version.

> // TODO: comment this
> to every single struct/class/method/function.

Well, ok. I see your point. But how to increase probability that
anyone will
comment that struct?

Nobody's going to comment that struct, whether or not you clutter up the
source code with a //TODO comment.

I mean, look at this:
address@hidden:~/src/lilypond (master)$ git grep FIXME | wc
-l
286
address@hidden:~/src/lilypond (master)$ git grep TODO | wc -l
979

Making that last number into 980 is not going to help.

> I wonder if we could ask astyle to add a
> --custom-loop-commands="for_UP_and_DOWN" option?  it would take a
while for

Ok, could I assume that you will take care of modyfing astyle?

No, but putting the macro inside the for() loop means that we don't need
to.

I have no
experience with it and instead of learning it now, I would like to
answer all
comments and correct all glitches, and finally close this patch.

I _really_ suggest that you split the patch into separate patches.  Some
of these changes are good and could have been pushed weeks ago; others
will still provoke arguments for the next few weeks.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/diff/1/lily/note-collision.cc#newcode577
lily/note-collision.cc:577: for_UP_and_DOWN (d) // please, make a
comment to
this loop (better than the above one...)
On 2012/04/01 05:00:25, Graham Percival wrote:
> adding a comment to say "please comment this" does not help

Once again, what could be done to get a comment to that loop?

If you write up what you know about that particular situation and send
it to -devel for comments or questions, that may provide enough
incentive for somebody to explain it to you, and then you could add a
comment there.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/diff/1/lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc#newcode137
lily/staff-symbol-referencer.cc:137: * The unit is halves of staff
space.
On 2012/04/02 01:03:40, hanwenn wrote:
> was the official coding style for comments changed? If not, can you
avoid the
> leading *s ?

Is there any official coding style for comments? I couldn't find any
in CG.

Hmm, I'm not certain if we have one or not.

And as it was stated here:

http://codereview.appspot.com/5651069/diff/5002/lily/note-collision.cc#newcode191
leading *'s prevent comments misalignment.

That sounds like a very good idea!

- Graham

http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/