Re: 30 day webathon for kickstarter support (issue 6068045)

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: 30 day webathon for kickstarter support (issue 6068045)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:30:19 -0700 (PDT)

>Message: 5

>Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:52:18 +0200
>From: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>To: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>    address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 30 day webathon for kickstarter support (issue 6068045)
>
>On Apr 19, 2012, at 4:40 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> address@hidden writes:
>>
>>> Reviewers: ,
>>>
>>> Message:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> My ensemble is launching a Kickstarter project in a day or two to
>>> support our tour in France and Ireland.
>>>
>>> We have a sweet plug in the project video for GNU LilyPond and I was
>>> wondering if I could strike up a partnership with LilyPond to put a link
>>> to the project on the LilyPond front page for the duration of the
>>> Kickstarter fundraising drive (30 days).
>>
>> I probably should be the last person to complain, but I would consider
>> that inappropriate.
>> The benefit for LilyPond is rather indirect:
>
>There are three benefits:
>
>1)  Imagine it like part of the bounty program.  I don't cash in on bounties
>because I devote all my time to my career in the arts, but this career in the
>arts needs to succeed in order for me to devote the time I do.

That's indirect and ambiguous; your own success doesn't guarantee nor even make
likely more time for you to work on bounties.

If you want to be fair, promise a certain amount of the proceeds to be added to
the bounty amount for whatever it is you think you'd work on if success for you
happens to lead to more time to work on Lilypond.  Then if your own success
happens to lead to less dev time, Lilypond still benefits _directly_ by having
increased bounty amounts.

-Jonathan