Re: announcing things like Mike's tour in News column?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: announcing things like Mike's tour in News column?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:54:19 +0100

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 05:16:45PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It reflects the news entries in the repository.  When a new LilyPond
> > Report appears, it _is_ announced there.
>
> Yes, it is.  However, in the last 20 months only 2 out of 80 items
> were neither a release note nor a Report announcement.  That's not a
> wide variety; personally i find this quite boring (however, i
> appreciate that the announcements are made regulargly - this ensures
> our website doesn't appear dead!).

Look at the news from projects like Debian or Guile.  They have
release news and important technical or organizational events.

> > The LilyPond Report is the
> > place for more transitory news items of non-technical interest.
>
> I don't agree that LilyPond Report is a place for non-technical /news/
> of this kind.

It could be.

> It's something you read because you're a part of the community, not
> because you want to inform yourself.

It could be.

> Additionally, it is released
> monthly - most of the /news/ are not new anymore after a month.

It could be released more often.

Bottom line: I think our website should be a place of solid
technical details and project news.  For more "community" news, I
suggest that the LilyPond Report is the best venue.  It can come
out faster or slower, it can have news about baking bread or
concerts, it can contain blinking headlines and pictures of
kittens.

It would be nice, of course, if more people worked on it, and it
became even more inclusive.  Eluze could interview Colin Hall
about bug handling, then next month they could switch roles; or
they could just joint-write a piece about the joys and pains of
being a (relatively) new Bug Squad member.  Colin Campbell could
write about folk music in Alberta and how lilypond is used in
bluegrass music (or not).

I think it needs to come from people other than the main
developers, though.  We're all too burnt out and overworked to get
enthusiastic about something like this.  Once the ball is rolling,
we might give it a poke now and then with an article, but the
initial surge needs to come from new contributors and/or users.

Anybody interested?  Anybody want to ask for volunteers on -user?