Re: announcing things like Mike's tour in News column?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: announcing things like Mike's tour in News column?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:53:09 +0100

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:33:03PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well then, let's have some important project news posted. I'll write a
> note about GSoC,

yes.

> and i think we can make an announcement when Mike&Joe
> finish new skylines - that's a fairly important project news.

No.  Information like that goes into the Changes document.

> On the other hand, look at
> http://www.gnome.org/news/
> http://www.freebsd.org/ - they even list new contributors in the news!

New committers are not the same thing as new contributors.

> > Bottom line: I think our website should be a place of solid
> > technical details and project news.  For more "community" news, I
> > suggest that the LilyPond Report is the best venue.
>
> I roughly agree, but how would you classify something like premiere of
> Valentin's opera?

Totally a lilypond report item.

> It was clearly a community news, but at the same
> time i think it was important for the project, as AFAIK it was the
> first such big, public project done with Lily.

That is absolutely false, and I'm sure that Valentin would agree.
The fact that nobody bothered to record concerts before that opera
doesn't mean they didn't exist.

> Another example: a new edition (created using LilyPond) of some
> significant work is released (for example something similar to Open
> Goldberg Variations) - i'd say that it's important news for the
> project itself.

I don't agree.

> > I think it needs to come from people other than the main
> > developers, though.  We're all too burnt out and overworked to get
> > enthusiastic about something like this.
>
> Maybe.
> As for the news, i suggest a following solution: when someone feels
> like posting some news, he puts the note up for review, which will
> work mostly as a vote (whether to post it or not).

That means that only git people can submit news items?  No, I
think that sending text to Valentin for the next report is a much
easier thing for non-technical contributors to do.

If you really really want to have fluff pieces on the main
lilypond website, I could imagine us using the top right-hand
corner (Mike's "wasted space") for twitter-like announcements of
concerts and editions.  Or maybe even using the entire right-hand
sidebar (and moving the "quick links" horizontally between the
"what is lilypond" and the news).
Alternately, the top-right corner could just be a link to the
latestlilypond report.