Re: [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 17:43:24 +0200

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I actually remembered one thing that remains worth doing: integrating
>> \chordmode into \notemode.
>
> This sounds like a nice project. I am still worried by the backward
> compat breakage, though. Is it worth it?

That's something worth finding out.  It will always be an option to keep
a separate \chordmode for around that is falling into disuse, while
figuring out a chord syntax for \notemode that is sufficiently similar
to not require relearning and similarly not in conflict with existing
use.

So there definitely is potential to keep the breakage low.  Of course,
there will still be an incentive to eventually deprecate \chordmode if
it turns out that it does nothing of additional value over \notemode.