Re: [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 00:31:43 +0200

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> My personal gut feeling is that probably "/", already used for
> separating a chord base, could possibly be used for introducing chords.
> It is not perfect:
>
> c1/7
>
> can be c followed by 1/7, or it can be a seventh chord on c with the
> duration of a whole note.  But c1 already can be pitch c followed by
> number 1 or a whole note c.  The difference is that 1/7 is a lexical
> unit of its own.  But this probably could be made to work.

unless we want to support rational durations written this way.
No, i don't like the idea of using '/' that much.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> What about differentiating between notes and chords by case?
>> a -> note
>> A -> chord
>
> Would you use Bes or BES?

Rather Bes.

> If the former, how would you write the equivalent of bes:dim ?

You mean, what case should "dim" be written in?  I'd say that it could
be lowercase:
Bes:dim
I.e., the difference between note and chord will be only in the case
of the first letter.
Or did i misunderstood you?
Janek