Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:03:23 +0200

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/09/12 21:12, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>>> The hard and fast rule is "- attaches to a note; = attaches to the
>>> prevous element".  I don't think that we had a chance to get into
>>> that during the big meeting.
>>
>> "the previous element" is the same kind of thing.
>>
>> c-.=\parenthesize=\tweak #'color #red
>>
>> Now is the parenthesized . red, or is the paren red?
>
> Apologies, my own (completely independently thought up) earlier email
> was posted before reading this part of the discussion.
>
> Is it not possible to again use brackets for avoidance of ambiguity, e.g.
>
>   c-.={\parenthesize=\tweak #'color #red}
>
> makes only the parenthesis red, while
>
>   c-{.=\parenthesize}=\tweak #'color #red
>
> makes the dot and parenthesis red, and
>
>   {c-.=\parenthesize}=\tweak #'color #red
>
> makes the note and the parenthesized dot red?

Curly braces create sequential music.

At any rate, I have my problems considering the proposal a
simplification.  It also glosses over the fact that we don't have just -
but also ^ and _ as direction modifiers, and I don't see that the
"attaches to the previous element" concept would never require a
direction.