Re: how to make decisions?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: how to make decisions?
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 12:06:15 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> They won't give up their working cars and their mechanics.  We need to
> offer something new.  And new business models (like transpose-on-demand
> with electronic or overnight delivery when the soloist would be
> inconvenienced by wrong pitches).  Ultimately things like a whole
> orchestra playing from electronic paper, getting acoustically
> synchronized page turns, live synchronized performance indications (the
> conductor makes a different decision in his partitura and the sheets
> from the musicians follow suit) and corrections.  Including "let's take
> that aria one note down".

Actually, just being able for the conductor to flip the partitura to one
page and point to a measure and have all the orchestra's sheets flip to
the same page and have the measure flashing in red would make things a
lot easier.

Of course you can do the same using traditional typesetting if every
score rendition knows where every measure is.  But things like an
orchestra player telling his score to format things bigger since he
can't properly see stuff (changing page layout, _if_ one wants to have
page layout rather than an endless vertical roll) are also important.

One _repeated_ advantage cited to me from people sponsoring LilyPond
work was the ability to create scores formatted larger for the sake of
people with seeing impairments, thus keeping the world of music
accessible to old people and/or monks performing under less than optimal
light conditions.