Re: [talk] easy tuplets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [talk] easy tuplets
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:11:11 +0200

Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:

> Advantages:
> 1. Quicker note entry for triplet quaver and crotchet groups.
> 2. It is considerably less opaque and cryptic-looking than the other
> alternative to \times 2/3 { ... }
> c8*2/3 c c .
>
> Drawbacks:

The main drawback I see is that the specification is "in lowest terms".
It would be a full nuisance to have tuplets oscillating between 15th,
5th, and 3rd tuplets depending on their distribution.  Sixtuplets are
plain out, it is not clear why and when duols will be notated with dots
and when not, and the subdivision to pick for duols/quartols is totally
unclear as it competes with normal note lengths.