Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submittingsimple

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submittingsimple doc patches
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:46:27 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "James" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 4:32 PM

On 10/06/2012 05:21 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:
Unfortunately, testing that docs compile cleanly takes about 15 times as long as code, so it's not for the underpowered or faint hearted. Used to be 2 3/4 hours
on my virtual machine.

Yes, true. The from-scratch build time for docs is pretty hefty, though from my memory once you've got it built _once_, building an edited version takes much less time. The build system improvements that came in a while ago (am I right this was your work?) made it much better than it was a few years back.

Most of the tidying up was me. There were a number of other improvements in the way dependencies were calculated that Julien was responsible for. John M has also made some improvements.

As you say, compile-edit-compile cycles are shorter than the full build, but can occasionally not reveal errors, so for a proper test it's always better to nuke the build directory and rebuild from scratch.

And given the amount of effort involved in all this, using git-cl seems a small additional step.

--
Phil Holmes