Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submittingsimple

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submittingsimple doc patches
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 18:26:03 +0200

On 10/06/2012 05:46 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:
As you say, compile-edit-compile cycles are shorter than the full build, but can
occasionally not reveal errors, so for a proper test it's always better to nuke
the build directory and rebuild from scratch.

Out of curiosity, what kind of errors? I imagine stuff involving cross-references, the index, etc.?

And given the amount of effort involved in all this, using git-cl seems a small
additional step.

It's not too much if you've already got the hang of Git, if you're relatively experienced with development tools etc. But all of that feels a bit much if all you want to do is submit a small doc update and you're not a regular contributor.

I'm not demanding a solution here, but I don't think Janek's suggestion should be dismissed. I think that David has it right when he says the best way to handle code and the best way to handle documentation are not necessarily the same, and personally I think the git-cl/Rietveld approach is too slanted towards code requirements.