Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submitting simple

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submitting simple doc patches
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:34:11 -0700

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 12:03:40PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
> > How is a web interface easier than email to enter information?
>
> I should've been more specific.  I meant a web interface that would
> not only allow entering information, but also handle the patch - a
> formal patch, not just a suggestion.

That would involve a lot of backend work.  I repeat what I said 5
or so years ago: LSR is our experiment with "easy contributing"
and "crowd-sourcing".  It has not been a great success; a huge
amount of the work in LSR is done by people with git push ability,
for which it would be easier just to edit the docs directly.

Before undertaking any "make it easier to write the manuals", I
suggest that you work on LSR.  That will give you a great deal of
experience in setting up backend systems and dealing with user
interest (or its lack).  Once that's done, you will be in a much
better position to discuss expanding such efforts.

> > And being vague in an email vs vague on a website is different how?
>
> If you're writing an email with a /suggestion/, you can write "i think
> that there should be information about x, y z, blah blah because of
> something, but i'm not sure what the wording should be".  That's
> vague.

Sure.  Then the bug squad replies back to say "thanks for thinking
about this, but we're not going to keep track of your idea until
there's a firm proposal.  Please see these webpages:
http://lilypond.org/help-us.html
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/documentation-suggestions.html
"

If somebody can't follow instruction 2: "please write exact
changes to the text", then I don't see it as a huge loss for
lilypond.