Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 2

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 2
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 19:47:41 +0200

Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks to everyone for their feedback so far.
> Here is Version 2 of the proposal.
>
> There will be new commands to supplement (or eventually replace) the
> current \times command.
>
> 1. \tuplet n/m {<music expression>}
> %  does what \times does, but not so easily confused with \time
> %  command.
> 2. \triplet {<music expression>} % shorthand for current
> %  \times 2/3 command
> 3. \duplet {<music expression>} % shorthand for current
> %  \times 3/2 command
> 4. \quadruplet {<music expression>} % shorthand for current
> %  \times 6/4 command

I haven't seen quadruplets in the wild, so that seems like a stretch.
When they occur, it seems audacious to assume they are 6/4.  More likely
than not, I would expect them to be 3/4, like if you have 4 notes on a
halfmeasure in a 6/8 setting.  But they are infrequent enough that I
don't think we should even provide a best guess.

What about tupletSpannerDuration?  Wouldn't it make sense to have an
optional duration argument before the music argument for specifying it?