Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 3

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 3
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:45:09 +0200

2012/10/9 Keith OHara <address@hidden>:
> Currently, everyone who thinks of a triplet as a 3:2 ratio, 3 notes in the
> usual time for 2, suffers similar confusion when trying to remember \times
> 2/3.  Triplets are usually written with a simple 3, but 4-note-tuplets are
> often designated 4:3 for clarity, while LilyPond requires the reversed
> fraction in \times 3/4 {}

Here come Spanish students again.
I can think in \times <fraction> {} as a mathematical expression and
it has sense, because "times" means multiply, but I have observed that
newcomers hear about a triplet has to be writen as 2/3 and the "times"
part becomes less relevant than the <fraction> part. They only think
"times" as being "time" plus an 's' and that the <fraction> has to be
reversed.

So, \tuplet y/x with the exact meaning of \times x/y is less confusing
because it's not "times" vs "time" anymore, and the straightforward
fraction is just "music without the maths". So, I predict a widespread
adoption.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com