Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 2

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 2
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 11:26:07 +0100

Hi Keith,
Thanks for doing some prototyping.
On 07/10/12 00:24, Keith OHara wrote:
> Ian Hulin <ian <at> hulin.org.uk> writes:
>
>> There will be new commands to supplement (or eventually replace) the
>> current \times command.
>> 1. \tuplet n/m {<music expression>}
>
>> This should be relatively easy to implement by adding declarations to
>> music-functions-init.ly.
>
> It is quite easy, so we can try it out with the attached file.
>
> I did implement the fraction as an optional argument, so that \tuplet {}
> is a triplet (although I don't like the optional argument).

+1.
Although this sort of default is something we now can do now with music
functions, we shouldn't here.
My intention in proposing this is to add the short-cut \triplet etc. as
a convenience and keep \tuplet for the more complex rhythmic ratios,
although it is perfectly possible to use \tuplet for triplets etc.  (We
go for \tuplet rather than \times because it is more readably distinct
from \time.)

> I didn't implement an optional argument for tupletSpannerDuration
> because I found it awkward to save and reset the old value (if any)
> after the tuplet group is over.

Thanks for investigating this. In that case let's leave
tupletSpannerDuration as being the default - length of the \tuplet
expression.  If someone feels the need to do this at a later date that's
fine.

> I find \tuplet4 easier to understand than \quadruplet

Duplets and quadruplet can be confusing.  The Oxford Dictionary of Music
definitions (Table 11, page xx) are:
"Duplet or Couplet: Two in the time of three"
"Quadruplet : Four in the time of three"

-1
Allowing the argument to be an integer which is assumed to be a
particular fraction, 3 for 3/2 4 for 4/3 etc.

Again, many thanks for working on this proposal,

Cheers,
Ian