Re: Create \temporary for doing overrides without pop-first set (issue 6

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Create \temporary for doing overrides without pop-first set (issue 6687044)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:26:45 +0200

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2012/10/15 06:30:12, janek wrote:
>> Could you write explicitely both here and in the commit message that
>> "as of 2.17.5, \override is a pop+push"?
>> Had i not participated in previous discussion, i would have no idea
>> why some overrides could be pop-first and what that could actually
>> mean to the music.
>
> _All_ \override are "pop-first".

Yes, i understand it (thanks to your explanation!).  I meant to
describe what i would think if i hadn't participated in the
discussion.

> This is not the place to document it.
> I might try to rephrase this, but something like "as of 2.17.5,
> \override is a pop+push" has no place whatsoever in the documentation
> string of a function.

ok, let's just have a note in the commit message.

Following Werner's advice, i drop all my objections to this patch.
Let's have it included; we can discuss changes to the stack interface
(i.e. whether \override should be just a push) separately in the
future.

LGTM!

thanks for your patience, David!  and for your watchfulness, Werner!
all the best,
Janek