Re: How to proceed

From: Joram Berger
Subject: Re: How to proceed
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:35:32 +0200

Am 15.10.2012 22:14, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
> dear Werner,
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> we've now had zillions of e-mails without coming to a concensus.
>> David has shown extreme patience in discussing all aspects, and I want
>> to have at least *some* outcome.  It must extremely frustrating for
>> him to see that everybody picks his code and suggestion into pieces
>> without being able to actually contribute code.  In other words, we
>> have one musician and a lot of conductors.
>>
>> It seems that we have to agree to disagree, not finding a solution
>> right now.  The question is how to proceed.
>>
>> My suggestion is to stop the discussion now and to let David work as
>> he thinks is best, bringing lilypond into a shape which makes it
>> easier to modify later on.
>
> you are right.
> Following David's suggestions and accepting his code never did us any harm.
>
> best,
> Janek

Hi,

sorry for joining the discussion too late (I joined the mailinglist just
now).
In short: I would be very fond of a syntax like (no # or')
\set context.property = 0.3
\unset context.property
and a unification of \set and \override.

Cheers,
Joram

(PS: if you still want to read what I wrote before joining this list,
here it is:

I am still (after using LilyPond for years) a bit confused why the
settings need all those # and ' and spaces (especially the ') and in
which order to put them (I often copy-paste because I can't remember
such settings by heart).

I am very excited about LilyPond, so I will take any effort to find the
code needed for my scores. But I have introduced LilyPond to several
musicians to whom any programming (e.g. the python syntax) is a mystery.
And they really have a hard time to get it working. The basic syntax is
great and easily learned (like a4-.( c2.) r1), but anything that is not
available as \command but has to be changed via scheme code is out of
reach for many users. The difference of all those \set, \override,
\tweak commands is also not transparent to me.

Would a syntax like:
Staff.size = 18
Staff.color = red
or
\tweak style = slash (or style = 'slash' if that is more consistent)
be possible? That would be something I could remember and teach to music
students.

In short: It's great that advanced users can change most everything with
scripting code. However, I would suggest to have the basic functionality
usable for beginners and musicians who don't know programming.
Frescobaldi does a great job in this direction and I'm looking forward
to GLISS results. I will add some ideas there and hope for the best.
)