Re: the future of LilyPond blog

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: the future of LilyPond blog
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:10:05 +0200

Hi,

in general: good points, but i have valid arguments as well ;)

2013/6/3 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł writes:
>
>> because i have 0 experience with blogging and webhosting and i didn't
>> want to spend a lot of time setting things up :)
>
> What I also mean is, is it wise to have yet another site/platform?
>
> What is wordpress.com doing for us, that cannot be done just as well
> (or better?) on G+ -- http://google.com/+lilypond

1) We won't have David K - he said that he won't create a Google
account.  Some other people may choose similarly.  In general, G+ is
somewhat closed for people not having a G account.
2) We won't have complete control over the content (that's why i want
to move the blog to our website eventually).  I think that we should
be as independent as possible.  As far as i know, Wordpress is open
source so we can take it with us, there shouldn't be (m)any
proprietary software dependencies.

> The initiative is great!!!! ...but we now have groups on FB and G+ and
> all kinds of alternative/language fora all over the place.

I agree that it's bad to spread all over the internet too much.
However, from what i see on G+ it's growing to become more something
like a mailing list: people post links to LilyPond-related articles
(i.e. Liedboek announcement), ask about LilyPond.  It seems to me to
be more like a news aggregator - it collects content from other
places.  I don't imagine anyone posting an article like this
http://news.lilynet.net/?The-LilyPond-Report-26#lilypond_output_analysis
on G+ - it seems too long (maybe my gut feeling is wrong, though),
while it's acceptable for a blog post.

As for Facebook, its closed nature is totally unacceptable for me - i
wouldn't want to, speaking somewhat figuratively, host any content
there.  I suppose it's good for communicating and letting other people
know about interesting things, but i suppose that anything having
permanent value (again, use
http://news.lilynet.net/?The-LilyPond-Report-26#lilypond_output_analysis
as example) would be lost there.  It's like a mailing list vs an issue
tracker - for some reason it's not enough if a bug is just mentioned
in a thread on bug-lilypond, is it? ;)  We add it to the tracker.

This may actually need to be stated more clearly: i want this blog to
become a source of information, not just a news feed.  Something that
people read even 5 years after it was posted, because it gives them
valuable knowledge.

I apologize that i didn't ask for opinions first, but i have an
impression that we (LilyPond community) sometimes go on and talk
forever and not have anything done.

best,
Janek