Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:49:59 +0200

2013/6/6 Paul Morris <address@hidden>:
> Am 06.06.2013 18:46, schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
>> Can't we just use lilypond.org/blog and/or use iframes to include it into
>> our home page?
>
> Hmmm...  I think it would help to have a clearer decision on the
> relationship of the blog with the main LilyPond site.  Once there's an
> answer to "what" is wanted, then it would be easier to work out the
> technical details of "where" and "how" to do it.  So, is it to be:
>
> A. a more "official" blog of the LilyPond project?  (i.e. blog.lilypond.org)
> B. a more independent LilyPond "community" blog?  (i.e.
> blog.openlilylib.org)

Good question.
Here's what i'd like this blog to be:
- "official" enough that it could be featured in the top bar of our
website.  This means: no chaotic personal ramblings, but valuable,
structured content.
- "blog of the LilyPond project" in the sense that all people involved
with Lilypond can post there (open for contributions).
- at the same time, i don't want the blog to become impersonal.  It is
not my intention to have a blog in which posts are signed "LilyPond
Project" and they cannot contain any personal opinions.

You may take a look at Steinberg's blog edited by Daniel Spreadbury
(former Sibelius guy): http://blog.steinberg.net/
Another comparison: LilyPond Report.  For me it's tone was good: a lot
of serious content, but not overly formal.

> Of course it's also good to know what the technical possibilities are too.
> (For example, if the goal was more integration with the main site, one could
> customize the blog's template so that the main navigation bar at the top of
> all the blog pages basically matched that of the main site, so that
> navigation back and forth was rather seamless, even if they were on
> different domains and servers.)

Yes, definitely.

best,
Janek