Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:01:10 +0100

Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote Monday, October 21, 2013 6:50 AM

> On 21/10/13 06:13, Carl Sorensen wrote:

>> What me drives crazy is the structure of the main git repository.  If
>> you follow github style, the graph gets littered with zillions of
>> `merge request' commits, one per pull request, which makes it quite
>> hard to follow the development IMHO.

> It's true it can get annoying if you have lots of one-commit contributions.
> On
> the other hand it lends itself to being able to split your contributions into
> multiple separate commits for which the main git history simply gets a
> summary
> (the merge commit).
>
> I still think it's ultimately worth it for the discipline of "No one pushes
> directly to master", which helps enforce a requirement that everything gets
> tested and reviewed, even stuff by core developers.

The vast majority of my contributions are single-commit, and I
suspect most other contributions are the same.  They are easy
to manage and generate a clean history with merge commits
appearing only when they are appropriate.  Our git repository was
not always managed in this way, so the advantages of a clean history
are obvious, at least to me.

Our current workflow already enforces: "No one pushes directly to master".
Why is it "ultimately worth it" to lose a real advantage only to regain
something we already have?

Having worked with Carl for some years I respect his opinion,
and for me his bottom line: "I'm seriously thinking of junking
Gitlab because the benefit seems to be more promised than realized",
based on his experience of actually using Gitlab on a real project
clinches the matter.

Trevor