Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:41:45 +0200

On 21/10/13 14:25, Carl Sorensen wrote:
And based on Joseph's comments, it appears that I may be misusing GitLab a
little bit -- we've not been using good descriptions of the merge requests
(in fact, we may have not been using *any* descriptions of the merge
requests) so the merge commits only have the git-generated statement about
the merge.  I'll try doing a better job on merge request descriptions and
see if I like that better.

No, you were right -- it's a current limitation of GitLab, and a very irritating one at that. See:
http://feedback.gitlab.com/forums/176466-general/suggestions/3489764-allowing-custom-commit-message-for-merge-requests

I think one workaround might be to perform the merge manually -- I'll let you know how this goes.

GitHub does this in a much nicer way: the merge commit message references the pull request ID and includes at least the title of the pull request, so that you can always find the associated discussion and have at least an overview of what the merge does.