Re: 2.18 release plans (again).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.18 release plans (again).
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:37:08 +0100

Removing the translations list from the Cc list as it is not really
involved.

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/10/27 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>> That's good, but the most irritating thing about this patch is not
>> that i have to solve merge conflicts.  I'm mainly irritated because a
>> piece of solid code (maybe it's not as solid as i think, but to know
>> that i need _reviews_) is laying dormant for *half a year*, which
>> prohibits me from working on some other stuff.

Branches exist.

>> I would really like to get some of my GSoC work finished and merged
>> into master, and this patch is a first step for that.

While it's unfortunate that the release process is now delaying your
GSoC work, it's not exactly like there was a scheduling conflict.

> Eh, nevermind.  I guess i'll just let it wait and gather dust for the
> next two months, and bring it back as a Christmas present.

Your mileage may vary.  You are irritated because a piece of purportedly
solid code is laying dormant for half a year.  I am irritated because so
few people can be bothered with getting release-critical stuff under
control that the stable release of LilyPond 2.18 has been dragging on
for half a year.  This thread is titled "2.18 release plans" and you use
it for trying to divert resources to your own priorities and complaining
when people don't respond in a timely or favorable manner.

For you it might feel like a conspiracy against your work.  But there is
more than just your work to be done, and different people have different
priorities and focus.  It is likely also in your own interest if the
release of 2.18 moves forward even if you don't see it that way.  If you
think I am lousy at managing the circumstances surrounding the release
work, feel free to volunteer do this job next time.