Re: Web: Download: Add introductory text (issue 40510046)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Web: Download: Add introductory text (issue 40510046)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:23:51 +0100

Am 15.12.2013 06:47, schrieb Graham Percival:
On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 09:46:54AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:

On 2013/12/14 03:51:33, Graham Percival wrote:
Umm, isn't the whole point of this to be a warning?  Why are you
removing the
warning CSS tag?

It's the whole point of this patch to raise this information to the
level of regular website text.

Why?  So that it's not as obvious?

No. So that it's obvious on a different level.

I imagine two situations in
which people download the binary without knowing what they're
getting.

1) they didn't notice the existing warning.  Solution: change the
CSS to make it more prominent.

I don't think that a warning is the right approach in that context.
Most users will take a warning as a kind of side note, and if it doesn't look crucial (like "this may break your system" or "Works only on Ubuntu 13.10 or later") they may put it aside for later consideration (if at all).

Of course this is an opinion I can't prove formally. If you say: It's all there, people should read it or should be forced to read it I can't formally object. Nevertheless I'm convinced that the approach should be modified.

2) they noticed the existing, read the "text input" page, but were
still confused.  Solution: improve the "text input" page.

I think the only issue with "text input" might be that it isn't explicit (or rather suggestive) enough about the editing environment.

Was it clear from the discussion on -user which of those problems
it was?

Not unambiguously clear. But it seems clear that we will have to take into account that people will proceed directly to the Download page without reading anything of the introduction or the Features page at most.

 From discussion in several quite diversified threads on
lilypond-user it
became clear that people (i.e. potential new users) have to get a
clearer picture of what LilyPond and its infrastructure essentially are.
This was the whole idea of starting a website review.

Ok.  That should be done in the introduction.  Maybe more images
on the Text input page?

No, that page is good IMO.

Maybe another whole page about "sample
usage", or something like that?

I think I've already made a suggestion in this regard: Rename "Easier editing" to "Editing" and add an introduction there. "Text input" and "Editing environments" are two concepts that have to be made explicit independently. I think the text input is explained very well, but the editing aspect is somewhat blurred, one could even perceive it as somewhat bashfully belittled. Maybe this should even be split: One dedicated page explaining the concept of IDEs, similar to the Text Input page but less elaborate, and another page that more or less lists available editors (i.e. the current "Easier editing" page with some modifications).

... wait a moment, doesn't the Windows download page include
screenshots of how to use the lilypond binary?  Did people fail to
notice those screenshots?

Probably they fail to draw the right conclusions from it.

I don't think making the "Note" more visible will help with the fact
that people reaching the homepage, then click on "Download" get the
right picture from it. I think a regular box with "Before you proceed"
and the second stopper "You just wnat a new version?" will be more
effective than a warning box.

I'm fine with rewording the warning box.  Text like "before you
proceed" might be good.  However, I'm *not* fine with reproducing
a bunch of explanations about how lilypond works.  We have a place
to explain that: the introduction.  Either people aren't finding
"Text input", or "Text input" needs work.

It was consensus that new users should actively be encouraged to download one of the complete environments, namely Frescobaldi or Denemo, which would then take care of installing LilyPond. Denemo already has LilyPond bundled, and Frescobaldi will/can be made to download and install LilyPond if needed. The "Download" page *is* the right place for this IMO. And the regular text of that page.

###

I think the considerations about "chattiness" of texts or redundancy of information are suitable and necessary for the docs, but much less for the website. The website doesn't have to be redundancy-free document with every information exactly once and in the right place (which it is far from currently BTW). It should rather be a comfortable place for potential new users who aren't already familiar with LilyPond or text based toolchains in general. If that requires some redundancy or colloquial style then it should have it. One problem with the current website is that it contains too much content which is clearly written from a developer's perspective. I have invested a considerable amount of energy and time to review the site by taking the POV of our target audience. This resulted in a first set of suggestions but there would also have to be considerable follow-up work, for example reworking the Community chapter.

I'm worried about the opposition even my first modest suggestions raise.
There will be patches with more involved changes to come. And if each tiny bit is discussed to death from exactly the developer's perspective that seems part of the problem, I'll surely consider it an inappropriate use of my time quite soon.

Urs