Re: note-spacing: stretch somewhat uniformly; issue 3304 (issue 36830045

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: note-spacing: stretch somewhat uniformly; issue 3304 (issue 36830045)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 01:37:09 -0600

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 22:47:41 -0800, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:

I suppose it's important to note that all of my scores use proportional
notation everywhere. So I imagine that most of the horizontal spacing
improvements don't actually impact my scores. (The recent spacing changes
optimize Lily's *default* spacing, correct?)

This patch does concern the default method of horizontal spacing.

The bug that this is meant to fix (http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3304) can be seen even with proportionalNotationDuration, if there are interleaved rhythms on a line that is stretched or compressed.  Probably, though, you also set 'uniform-stretching', which removes the problem.

Correct: I set uniform-stretching every time proportional notation is turned on.

This patch makes the default spacing case stretch/compress more like it does with uniform-stretching, while keeping the detailed spacing adjustments in response to things like neighboring stem directions that 'uniform-stretching' would normally skip.

Nice. I've always thought that sort of hybridization of classical spacing and proportional spacing would eventually become a new norm.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden