Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by ni

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by nine.fierce.ballads <at> gmail.com)
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 23:25:34 -0800

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 18:11:58 -0800, Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 2, 2014, at 14:52 , Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

The current code has some logic to choose a glyph timesig.C34 if...

I followed everything you said except this, maybe because of the sudden mention of
3/4.  Are you implying that changing the “complex logic" to

  1. if there is a glyph of the right name, use it
  2. otherwise, fall back on numbered style

would be a good idea? I was considering that.

That kind logic is already at the end of
Time_signature::special_time_signature() now, but I don't see any way to use it
for anything except 2/2 and 4/4.

I was arguing that as the use-cases get more specific, where you would want to
pick a particular glyph, figuring out what options to set is harder than the
direct approach:

  {\override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
   \override Staff.TimeSignature.text =
       \markup {\musicglyph #"timesig.C22" \musicglyph #"timesig.C22" }
   \time 4/2 b1 b1 }