Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by ni

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by nine.fierce.ballads <at> gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:09:57 +0100

Hi,

> If I needed to set the Schubert Op90n3, which looks like 4/2 to me,
> I might notice a single-C style in the manual, figure out how to use
> it, wonder why the c's are not barred where Schubert has them barred,
> look into the code, be confused, decide to use markup like I should
> have in the first place.

that was my main objection some mails back in the mailing list. The only
use diverging from the default style I encountered was a 4/2 timing
denoted as ¢. And this is not covered by the new rules (you would have
to use 2/1). That’s why I suggested to use the denominator to choose the
symbol because as a general rule it come closer to the historic use of
the ¢ sign, imho.

However, (as also stated before) I can not see a fixed and historically
used rule here and rather would prefer a *simple way* to choose the
symbol and the timing with optional arguments:

For the tempo we have:
\tempo Allegro 4 = 120
(and no rule turning speeds (4=120) into words (Allegro) - this case is
different but also similar if you consider the following.)

I would suggest this for times:
\time 4/2 "C"

and similar symbols for existing time signature symbols, like ("C|",
"CC", "C|C|" or "c", "¢", if you like to allow such special symbols, or
"S" and "$" etc.). Then it would be clear and easy for the user to
choose a time and a symbol without scheme code.

If there is a fixed and consistently used rule in history, including ¢
and ¢¢ etc., I like the idea of such a rule.

Cheers,
Joram