Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043by nin

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043by nine.fierce.ballads <at> gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 23:31:51 -0000

Joram wrote Monday, November 03, 2014 9:09 AM

> For the tempo we have:
> \tempo Allegro 4 = 120
> (and no rule turning speeds (4=120) into words (Allegro) - this case is
> different but also similar if you consider the following.)
>
> I would suggest this for times:
> \time 4/2 "C"
>
> and similar symbols for existing time signature symbols, like ("C|",
> "CC", "C|C|" or "c", "¢", if you like to allow such special symbols, or
> "S" and "$" etc.). Then it would be clear and easy for the user to
> choose a time and a symbol without scheme code.

I quite like this suggestion, although it would need to be backed up
by some validation to refuse to accept, or at least warn about,
inconsistent combinations like \time 7/8 "C|".  But as an alternative
to setting the 'style property this seems quite an attractive syntax,
and considerably easier to remember and type than looking up a
suitable glyph.  "N" could mean numeric, maybe, to override the
default "C", and "SN", single-numeric.

But can we have an optional last argument?  If not, it could be a
second optional argument after the optional 'beatStructure, as it
has a different predicate.

Trevor