Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by ni

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Issue 3286: add single-C time signature style (issue 164830043 by nine.fierce.ballads <at> gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 20:53:06 -0500

On Nov 3, 2014, at 04:09 , Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:

> The only
> use diverging from the default style I encountered was a 4/2 timing
> denoted as ¢. And this is not covered by the new rules (you would have
> to use 2/1).

I don’t recall that anybody so far has been able to explain how they know a
piece is in 4/2 when it is denoted cut-C.  Can you?

I found a little support for the idea that double cut-C is being used as 2/1 in
the hymnal I have.  Consider songs 2 and 3 from this 1844 hymnal:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=t341RA7NAcIC .

In that book they are in 2/1.  (Would you have called them 4/2 if not for that?
 I probably would have.)  The hymnal I have contains those two songs with
identical music, but denoted with double cut-C time; and there are others I
recognize, but I haven’t checked them as closely.
—
Dan