Re: GUB update

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB update
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:15:45 +0900

On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 04:33:05PM +0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I assume what is happening here is that the manual install places the mpc
> libraries where the gcc configur can't find them.  In any case, doing this
> manually defeats the object of a self-building package builder.  So what
> would be really helpful would be for someone who understands all the python
> stuff that GUB does could point me to how to add the new dependency to GUB
> for MPC.

Wouldn't it be here?
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/gub/specs/gcc.py#L16

However, first you need to add a "mpc.py" in that directory.  The
contents of that file should start of being something like
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/gub/specs/tar.py
(picked fairly randomly)
Note the toolsAutoBuild part -- if MPC is autotools, then the
configure should be relatively straightforward.  Maybe even
something like
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/gub/specs/faac.py
(again chosen randomly)

I'm sure that right now you're wondering why some (most?) of the
spec files are much much nastier than faac.py.  The answer is that
pretty much all of that nastiness is working around bugs in the
original package's build systems.

After you add mpc.py, test that in isolation before trying "make
bootstrap".  It's entirely plausible (or even likely!) that you'll
be able to build mpc with the default ubuntu, but it'll fail on
some cross-compilation step.  But check the native build first.
:)